FrenchEnglishEspañol
You are here: Home | The Centre | L'historique
History

Swamis Siddheswaranda et Ritajananda

In 1936 the Guimet Museum (with Professor Masson-Oursel, holder of the chair of Indian Philosophy) celebrated the hundredth birthday of Ramakrishna, while the Sorbonne University (with Professor Fouché, Member of the Institute) paid homage to Swami Vivekananda, the disciple of Ramakrishna and founder of the Ramakrishna Mission.

The names Ramakrishna and Vivekananda had been known in France since Romain Rolland, the Nobel prize for literature, had in previous years (1929 and 1930) published their biographies.

Following these ceremonies the “Friends of Indian Thought” wrote to the headquarters of the Ramakrishna Mission (established in Kolkata) to ask for a member of the Order to come and reside in France in order to teach the Vedanta philosophy.

During the following year Swami Siddheswarananda arrived in Paris and began his teaching. His many lectures (at the home of his hosts, Mr. And Mrs. Sayton, as well as in the Sorbonne university and the universities of Toulouse and Montpellier) increased the number of friends, which made it necessary and at the same time enabled it to acquire after the war (in 1948) a property which could be transformed into an ashram.

In 1961 Swami Ritajananda became the successor of Swami Siddheswarananda (who had passed away in 1957).

Since the decease of Swami Ritajananda (in 1994), Swami Veetamohananda has been the monk responsible for the Vedanta Centre. In this capacity Swami Veetamohananda participates in the Monastic Inter-religious Dialogue (DIM).


Swamis Ritajananda  et Veetamohananda

Often in demand as a representative of Hinduism in France, Swami Veetamohanda is also invited to give talks in Metropolitan France or overseas (Antilles, La Réunion) as well as abroad (he goes regularly to Spain, Italy, Germany and England, but also to Belgium, Holland, Bulgaria, Guatemala, Brazil and the United States of America).

For several months the Centre has been engaged in reconstruction: the first renovation works are to begin during the summer of 2010.

Last Updated on Monday, 14 March 2016